Erica Böhr's Blog

All artwork on this site is © Erica Böhr

Total Pageviews

Thursday 19 May 2011

"The Taxonomic Impossibilities of Liminality", 2011

I am primarily concerned with mapping liminality, that which is neither ‘here’ nor ‘there’.  To do this, I create alternative taxonomies by juxtaposing images and objects and inviting the viewer to form new narratives.  As part of this contemporary allegorical approach I use objects as ciphers for creating new sets of meaning.  I work across different media, including installation, sculpture, collage, video and performance.  My practice is grounded in research and enquiry and consequently language plays a pivotal role.  I attempt to activate my work by performing and setting up situations and performing actions.  The viewers’ participation is often invited in order to allow chance and randomness to affect the final piece of work.  The hyena and mercury function as critical ciphers in this current body of work as metaphors for alchemy, flux, dynamic change and gender liminality.




© Erica Böhr, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment